RE: Why don't technical writers do case studies?

Subject: RE: Why don't technical writers do case studies?
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2002 15:04:39 +0100

>You missed one possibility:
>3. The end users were able to figure how to mess up in a way so creative
that nobody
>could have predicted it but now needs to be documented to prevent other
knuckleheads
>from doing the same thing (i.e. the silly-sounding warning that was
necessary because
> somebody really was dumb enough to do it scenario).
>#3 was pretty common when I worked in the defense industry.

It's not just the defense industry. It may be more SPECTACULAR when it's the
defense industry, but there are knuckleheads everywhere.

Just finished documenting a new section that could have been called
"silly-sounding warnings that turned out to be necessary". But isn't.

Jane Carnall
The writers all stand around a cauldron chanting and occasionally tossing in
a small mistake. Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine
alone. Apologies for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and
outwith my control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.