Re: STC blackmail?

Subject: Re: STC blackmail?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:36:56 -0700 (PDT)

<bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com> wrote

> My point was that they are apparently meeting the perceived needs of those
> who choose to remain members.
> Otherwise, they wouldn't remain. If the STC were to revamp itself to meet
> the narrowly-focused needs of Andrew,
> they would probably alienate many of those who are already members, just for
> the chance that they might persuade
> that other group to join or re-join.

Nobody, including me, asked STC to totally revamp itself to "meet the narrowly
focused needs of Andrew." All I said was that an organization that supposedly
includes technical people should include SOME technical topics in conferences.

> FWIW, I would have absolutely no interest in attending a conference session
> on networking technology. I don't
> write about it, and when I have any problems with network connectivity I call

> the appropriate tech support people.
> I'm not authorized to work on that stuff here anyway because that's not my
> job.

Wouldn't you like to know more about technology. Because someday you may not
have that job and may be out on the bricks looking for a new one. And if you
understood networking, you might have a better shot at getting a job. Or maybe,
you could even do a different job. One that pays more money. The fact is,
technical skills like networking are more in demand than knowing how to use
FrameMaker and implement single-sourcing.

> How many people here would want to sit through a presentation on
> semiconductor fab manufacturing environment
> systems? Most of the writers at the same company I work for couldn't care
> less about that one, but that's one of
> the chief technologies I work with all the time.

And that is sad. The writers at your own company don't care about the
technologies they are supposed to be documenting. How do they ever expect to
become better writers?

I personally would love to sit through a basic seminar on semiconductor
manufacturing. Because I actually like learning new things. You never know when
that kind of knowledge will come in handy.

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/