Re: Tech. reviewers who copy edit

Subject: Re: Tech. reviewers who copy edit
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:18:08 -0700

At 04:18 PM 4/9/2002 -0400, David Downing asked:

Anybody constantly have the experience of having someone agree to give
you a technical review, then copy editing your document in addition to
or instead of reviewing it?

Yup, lots of the developers here do that for me. Since I'm a lone writer,
mostly I let them know I appreciate it when they find typos, and that I
appreciate it even more when they find technical glitches in what I've
written.

I'm lucky to work with a group of developers who do understand
the concept of a technical review and who check the accuracy and
completeness of my chapters. But without an editor or other tech
writer to do peer reviews, I'll take any comments I can get. If I find
a developer going overboard with my wording, I try to bring the focus
back to:
* Is it accurate as I've written it?
* If not, what do we have to do with the words to make them true?

Sometimes I just ask them to write down their comments and give
them to me, and let them know I'll fold in the ones that fit with
the style of the rest of the chapters. It's worked fine so far.

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"We must become the change we want to see in the world."
--Gandhi