RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)

Subject: RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)
From: Mike Stockman <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:37:48 -0400

On 04/09/2002 12:32 PM, Jane Carnall (jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com)
wrote:

>Why oh why (tribute to Barry Took, who died unobtrusively on 30th March)
>must people who don't want to belong to the STC or go to the STC conference
>blast everyone else with their criticisms of an organisation they don't want
>to belong to and an event they don't want to go to? (That's a rhetorical
>question, not a poll.)

It seems to me that if a non-trivial number of people in the STC's target
audience have criticism of the organization and its conference, it's
reasonable to express their comments in a reasonable place (for example,
a tech. writing forum).

Whether it's also reasonable to think that the STC leaders should both
read these comments and consider them in forming policy is another
discussion altogether...

Having once tried STC membership almost a decade ago, I find both sides
of the discussion useful in occasionally reconsidering whether the STC is
useful to my career yet.

Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman