RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)

Subject: RE: STC blackmail? (Was: Humor... sort of)
From: "Haas, Guy" <ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 09:08:55 -0700

Yesterday, I wrote:

Sacramento and American River College, Thea Teich, the STC
second-vice-president was asked (in a panel discussion at the conference
wrap-up) why STC does not offer training. She opined that there are lots of
other organizations that offer training, and are accredited. STC is not an
educational organization, and supports education in the field but does not
offer it.

(My paraphrase, but she can speak up for herself -- I've CCed her
============

My paraphrase was incorrect, and Thea wrote to correct me:

Hi Guy--

I did not say STC did not offer training. The question at WIW dealt with
academic courses and degree programs.

STC offers a great deal of training--that's what the annual conference is
all about. In addition the telephone seminars training series for
experienced techcomm people is a great training program that costs only $125
per site--not per person.

The WIW query was about academic programs, and these are extensively offered
elsewhere by academic institutions that are in a much better position to
develop and deliver them, as well as handle credits, etc.

You may pass this along to whomever it was that you spoke with originally.

Thea Teich
STC 2nd vp
Hi again--

I just found the list of questions from the WIW forum. I was specifically
asked about "online classes." I inferred--as did Bonni Graham, who agreed
with my answer--this to mean academic courses offered online, such as those
offered by U Cal-Hayward and Mercer University--which were the examples I
gave as accredited academic programs already doing this job.

"Training" was not mentioned in the question and has an entirely different
meaning. STC certainly does offer training, and I would have emphasized that
if the question had involved that subject.

Please make sure that whomever you discussed this with understands this.

Thank you.

Thea Teich
STC 2nd vp

I stand corrected. Thanks, Thea.

--Guy K. Haas gkhaas -at- usa -dot- net or ghaas -at- selectica -dot- com
Software Exegete in Silicon Valley