Re: techwr-l digest: April 08, 2002

Subject: Re: techwr-l digest: April 08, 2002
From: "Jan C. Wright" <jancw -at- wrightinformation -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 08:59:26 -0600

I spend two hours every week explaining computers to elderly folks at the local library. They sign up for one hour sessions, on anything from word processing to the internet to whatever. They have usually inherited a computer from their children, and it already has tons of stuff installed on it. I've found there are major humps for them to get through in conceptually understanding Windows, and I suspect most new users have to face these humps as well.

Figuring out which part of the bifocals to look through. Heck, that's a problem for me as well!

Cut, Copy and Paste is a big one. Once they have figured that out, they are thrilled to copy things and paste them.

Typing at an insertion point -- figuring out where that insertion point is, and clicking to get one is a major event. And it is a dexterity issue.

When to click and when to double-click is a big one -- the Web and its inconsistencies drive folks nuts when they are new to it. There's also a dexterity issue in double-clicking, and just getting the pointer over something to click it. Which part of the pointer, and just getting it there when you have arthritis is major.

Highlighting anything to do something to it -- with dexterity problems, highlighting with a mouse is a nasty business. Word's tendency to just scream the window down when you are highlighting is horrible! We do a lot of keyboard shortcuts, but then there is a memory problem -- you have to remember what to do.

Saving and save as -- understanding save as means you are almost an expert.

Where your files are is the worst hump -- I train people to keep everything in My Documents, which I personally don't do, but I figure it is the consistent folder on everyone's machines. No one understands the desktop metaphor at this point -- things have gotten too fuzzy and rearranged for that metaphor to work at first hearing. So we go over the find dialog box a lot too. I spend a lot of time with file drawer metaphors, talking about being a mouse inside a folder inside an accordion folder, and popping up and looking around, and then realizing I have to go up even more to see where I am in the drawer. That seems to work. I also use clothes-washer metaphors, and the amount of laundry to be done to explain the differences between hard drives and memory.

As for books, manuals, online help, that actually doesn't work until later in the process for some folks. I have heard comments like "Oh, I looked at that help thing, but it didn't seem very helpful." Folks have to learn to use help, and until they have mastered windows, moving things around, clicking, selecting, etc., they are so scared they have broken something that they don't really read-for-comprehension in anything that just pops up. They can cope with searching for something in help only after they are comfortable with opening and closing windows, opening and closing applications, typing at the insertion point, etc.

It's an eye-opener. I had one guy who was very anal-retentive, and he was so worried about not having enough space on his hard drive that he kept opening up folders and deleting everything in them that didn't make sense to him. He had a field day in the program files and Windows folders, killed the machine several times, had to be talked through reinstallling Windows by tech support each time, and I had to keep mentioning gently to him that it was not a good idea to throw things out until we were sure they weren't important, that he had plenty of space. It took him a while to believe....

jan

Wright Information Indexing Services
Jancw -at- wrightinformation -dot- com
www.wrightinformation.com