Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?

Subject: Conferences: Valuable? Or the Spawn of Satan?
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:17:37 -0600

All the recent online hububb (sp?) associated with A Certain Conference
has made me wonder. So I assembled my wonderings into some questions for
those interested. (I thought of suggesting them to Deborah as potential
questions as essay questions <g>, I thought I'd go ahead and offer these
directly to you, eliminating the middle man (or woman in this case) and
passing the savings on to YOU!)

Here goes:

1. Do you (the average List member) go to conferences regularly?
2. Do you only go if your company foots the bill?
3. Is it a tough sell to get your company to give you A) the time off and
B) the money (if applicable)?
4. Do you go for your interest in specific topics? Or for the networking
opportunity? (This answer might be best given in a proportion/percentage)
5. Are the topics well-chosen?
6. Are there major and obvious gaps, where subjects that should be
addressed are glaringly absent?
7. Are the topics explored to the correct depth, given time constraints,
audience demographics, etc.?
8. Overall, do you find such conferences worthwhile?

And a final, more brass-tacks question, applicable if your company pays
your expenses:

9. Would you spend your own money to attend?

Thanks!

-Keith Cronin

The STC is great. Or it's evil. I can never remember which.