Colour representation of values, how to describe?

Subject: Colour representation of values, how to describe?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:26:59 -0400

John Cornellier wonders: <<Say we have a 2D image which represents 3D data,
like a topographic map. Data in the horozontal plane is represented on the
XY axises. Vertical data is represented in the Z axis by a colour gamut. If,
in a similar way to that described above, we want to increase the apparent
resolution of the vertical data, we can spread, or "map" the z access to a
wider range of, or more, colours. What would be the technical term for doing
so?>>

One of the terms for this is "thematic mapping"; although it's more common
in my field to see this used for different vegetation types in satellite
photos, I don't recall any reason why you couldn't use the same jargon for
(say) elevation in topo maps or anything else similar.

If you want to express an increase in resolution, then all you need to say
is "increasing the resolution"; there may be a technical term for this (in
printing, you might indeed call it "expanding the color gamut"), but it
doesn't likely add much to the clarity of the explanation. For a general
audience, I'd avoid the jargon, but if your audience is technical, why not
ask your SME what the technical term is?

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada

"Science is built up of facts, as a house is built of stones; but an
accumulation of facts is no more science than a heap of stones is a
house"--Jules Henri Poincaré