Re: when is it right to be wrong?

Subject: Re: when is it right to be wrong?
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 15:44:41 -0800 (PST)

In article BBB8A4AEEC8FD34E9464C4E328D588C01B305D -at- EGLSERVER -dot- eaglesoft -dot- net, kwerner -at- eaglesoft -dot- net (Kelly Werner) writes:

>I'm a newer tech writer, not quite a newbie anymore, and I'm at the horns of
>a dilemma. Is it justifiable to commit a MS Manual of Style faux pas for
>the sake of user comprehension?
>I put the question to you, oh counsel of elders, is it more important to be
>proper or understood?

As others have already noted, style guides are intended
to be just that, guides, not laws. I would be more hesitant
to go against the MS Manual of Style regarding interface
issues, as most documentation about their products tends
to use their style related to the Windows interface so
readers are used to it.

Otherwise, if you are really writing for better user
comprehension, I would bet that you can find another
style guide that would back up whatever decision it
is that you're making :->

Finally, we could probably give you more helpful answers
if you provide the actual issue that you're facing.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

Calling Windows XP "the most reliable Windows ever" is like calling
asparagus "the most articulate vegetable ever" -- Dave Barry