RE: when is it right to be wrong?

Subject: RE: when is it right to be wrong?
From: Sue Ahrenhold <SAhrenhold -at- IpdSolution -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 14:51:04 -0500

Style manuals are intended to be guidelines, not handcuffs. I sometimes
find, though, that I really haven't really structured my sentence very well,
and that is why I am seriously thinking about deep-sixing the style manual.

For example, if I am trying to write in passive voice, it's usually because
I haven't really figured out what the subject of my sentence is. So I have
to go back and rethink what it is I'm trying to say. One of my co-workers
is always leaving a preposition at the end of a sentence (Our manager HATES
that). Most of the time, I can edit her stuff (and omit several words) by
changing the preposition construct to an adjective.

But, there are occasions when the passive voice really is the right way to
say what I want to say. Maybe once a document. The rule is there for the
other 999 cases where I'm just trying to be lazy.

Is it justifiable to commit a MS Manual of Style faux pas for
the sake of user comprehension?
I put the question to you, oh counsel of elders, is it more important to be
proper or understood?