STC Conference Speakers

Subject: STC Conference Speakers
From: "Damien Braniff" <DBraniff -at- amphion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 08:12:16 +0100

I joined the STC a year or so ago mainly for the journals. Given my
location I don't actively participate in the UK Chapter and going to the
conference is unlikely (at least in the current climate). However, I am
also a member of the ISTC (Institute of Scientific and Technical
Communicators) and attend their conference most years and have presented
for the last couple of years. Like the STC, there is no 'incentive' to
present (not free/cheaper etc) - I see it as putting something back into
the Institute (plus we're relatively small and couldn't afford it!).
While presenters have to pay to attend the conference is very cheap -
last year I think it was about £240 which included all sessions plus
accommodation and food; various dinners etc are sponsored by companies
- agencies, vendors etc to keep cost to a minimum. There is also a
keynote speaker each year but I don't know how that works, whether it's
free, they're paid or whatever.

Damien Braniff
Technical Writer
Amphion Semiconductor Ltd.