Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?

Subject: Re: (Possibly OT) Can I quote you?
From: Tkritr -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 13:54:19 EST

Keith queries: "But to what extent can/should they use such archival
information? Can they quote us?"

Online sources and how to quote them are actually in the Publication Manual
of the American Psychological Association (APA) Fourth Edition (1994) that I
had to use for all of my papers (or get a lower grade) in grad school. At the
time this edition was written, it is noted that a standard wasn't set yet;
however that was eight years ago.

And just in case you don't think Techwr-l discussions would ever be used in
papers or presentations:

In 1997 I attended the 15th Annual International Conference on Computer
Documentation sponsored by ACM SIGDOC (a great conference, by the way).
Bruce Overby wrote and presented: "Order and Chaos: A Sociological Profile of

Since I haven't thoroughly re-read the presentation, I might have missed some
direct quotes. As I glance through the proceedings, however, it doesn't look
like the author used direct quotes in this particular piece. That doesn't
mean that it hasn't been done somewhere else though. I also don't know
whether or not the author contacted specific posters, or that he would need
to contact them if he didn't directly quote them.

If I were writing research papers again, I'd probably check a current copy of
the APA (or similar reference) just to make sure I was quoting items
correctly.

Hope this provided some additional information,

Kirsten Petersen
technical writing consultant