Re: If you were going to learn...

Subject: Re: If you were going to learn...
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 07:42:39 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "peter" <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
<snip>
> In the
> Techie world neither Access nor FoxPro are considered true DBs.
VisualBasic
> can be used as a front end for SQL. It too is not a database. It uses a
> database engine, though.

What does this mean? What makes a "true" database? I'm reviewing all of the
answers I received early in March and find that I do not understand comments
about Access not being a database.

Can someone clarify? I understood Ann Hastings' comments because I
understand the basics of tables: With flat-file databases, each table would
be totally separate from the others, but with relational databases, you can
link tables by specified fields, so that you enter a piece of data once, and
it is seen by the other linked tables too. This eliminates redundancy and
multiple variations in data entry.

However, I would like to know which kind of database Microsoft Access is.
Also, can someone define "normalization"? The word is used and used and used
but never defined in stuff I've seen.

Thanks.

Bonnie Granat
http://www.editors-writers.info