RE: techwr-l digest: March 30, 2002

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: March 30, 2002
From: "Kathy Jacobs" <jacobskl -at- jacobs -dot- coxatwork -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 15:32:43 -0700

I appreciate the comments on "stand-up" training. I, however, would
like to reply from the side of one who has been hit by this
discrimination.

I have been a trainer, training manager, and training consultant since
the late 1980's. In late 1998, I had surgery on one of my knees. Since
then, I have had 4 more, 2 of which included bone movement and extreme
recuperation (think replacement level recovery effort). Even with these
surgeries, I can not stand for more than an hour or two at a time.

This means that I no longer train professionally for pay. No one (at
least in my end of the country) is willing to hire a contract trainer
who can not stand for an entire day. Even though breaks are scheduled
in classes, trainers are still expected to stand during breaks in most
classes. Sitting is not encouraged or allowed, even if the class is a
technology based class.

I continue to train as a volunteer for Girl Scouts. There I am
encouraged to train from a seat or a stool and rest as needed. I
mention this because the participants have no problem with me sitting
during a session. However, those who hire trainers (contract or direct)
still do have a problem with trainers who sit.

Just my two cents... Reply as desired...

Kathryn Jacobs, BrainBench MVP MS PowerPoint
Get PowerPoint answers at http://www.powerpointanswers.com
Cook anything outdoors with http://www.outdoorcook.com
Hardware, software, and history: http://www.oldcpu.com

Kathy is a trainer, writer, Girl Scout, parent, and whatever else there
is time for
I believe life is meant to be lived. But:
if we live without making a difference, it makes no difference that we
lived