Re: names for doc statuses

Subject: Re: names for doc statuses
From: "Paul Strasser" <paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 09:44:49 -0700

If it matters, we use "Working" for a document in progress. Both "draft"
and "final" versions are sent to the client (at different times), and both
are complete and reviewed. The distinction between draft and final is
subtle: in the draft, we are asking the client for their comments,
contributions, and criticisms (Hey! It's Alliteration Monday!) We're
pretty much asking the client, "This is what we think we all agreed upon,
right?" Usually, the changes they want are minor. After we incorporate
their changes we send them a Final version. If they say that the Draft is
OK, we re-send it and rename it Final.

This satisfies them, us, and our deliverables schedule. We commonly have
ten or more separate documents that are deliverables in the course of a
contract, so this method keeps all parties aware of what has and hasn't been
done.

The Working documents are in a constant state of flux, and the distinctions
are typically noted by version number.

Paul Strasser
Windsor Technologies, Inc.
2569 Park Lane, Suite 200
Lafayette, Colorado 80026
Phone: 303-926-1982
FAX: 303-926-1510
E-mail: paul -dot- strasser -at- windsor-tech -dot- com