WinHelp master TOC not opening

Subject: WinHelp master TOC not opening
From: "White, Leigh" <Leigh -dot- White -at- misyshealthcare -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:59:03 -0500

Hi All,

We create WinHelp using RoboHelp 9. We have about 10 separate .hlp files and
.cnt files, all connected through a master TOC. During software
installation, all these .hlp and .cnt files and installed, along with the
software, to the user's C: drive, where everything lives in the same
directory. Lately, I have been experiencing a problem. When I try to open
one of the .hlp files, a message displays informing me that the master TOC
cannot be found in a location on the network. I have no idea why the .hlp
file is looking on the network for the master TOC, and I have checked that
location and there are no WinHelp-related files there. However, one of the
.hlp files *does* work correctly and opens the master TOC, creating a GID
file, and once that GID file is created, everything works correctly. I have
done a complete comparison between the help project for the .hlp file that
works and the ones that don't and have been unable to find any differences.
I have referred this problem to eHelp and they have been able to reproduce
it, but have no solution. I have recreated the master TOC and several Help
projects from scratch and the problem persists. It's increasingly hard to
find support for WinHelp, and thankfully we have finally made the decision
to abandon it, but I must maintain these files for a while longer. Has
anyone else encountered this problem and have you found a solution? Of
course, I can work around it by installing a GID file to users' machines,
but I'd rather solve the problem. Any suggestions are appreciated. Please
reply off-list.

Thank you,
Leigh White
Project Leader, Technical Publications
Misys Healthcare Systems
Leigh -dot- White -at- misyshealthcare -dot- com

Views expressed by the author do not necessarily represent those of
Misys Healthcare Systems management and Board of Directors.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/