RE: Ethical Companies (no flame wars, please)

Subject: RE: Ethical Companies (no flame wars, please)
From: "Suzanne Chiles" <suzchiles -at- pobox -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:05:04 -0800

In my case, it was a company I was working for, which sold large fax
messaging systems to international country-wide Telco companies. The company
is now, thankfully, long defunct.

I was required to write manuals for products/features that had been "sold"
to the customer, but had not been, nor would they ever, be built. Just
having the manual delivered to the customer was "proof" that they had
delivered. The systems were so large and so complex that this so-called
company would figure out a way to build that product/feature before the
customer discovered the problem.

I couldn't take it and I quit. In part, because I was so good at writing
manuals for imaginary products and was rather ashamed at my part in this
duplicity.

Other evidence of unethical behavior at the company:

- Employees were verbally harassed and subjective to threats and profanity.
- In the last three months of the company's existence, the company did not
pay health insurance premiums to the health care provider, without telling
the employees. This resulted in financial ruin for several employees who had
put in claims for surgeries and hospital stays.
- Stuck all the profits in Swiss accounts and had no cash available during
the bankruptcy proceedings and resulting lawsuits.
- Stopped paying vendors months before the end.

The saddest sight was each 2 or 3 months, after all the existing coffee
service machines had been removed, was a new vendor bringing in his
equipment.

It was a horrible, horrible place.

Suzanne

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr