Re: Health Coverage for Contractors

Subject: Re: Health Coverage for Contractors
From: Nora von Gerichten <wlg -at- pacificcoast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 07:55:10 -0800

<rant> If the process was set up properly, and
the documentation was good, there would be no
need for brokers! Think about it, all a broker does
is fill out the deliberately complicated paperwork.
Realtors, customs, insurance, title, etc </rant>

Brokers have their place, that is, real brokers. Frankly, if a client needs a municipal bond, I would rather go to a broker for the best deal rather than a tech writer. I have yet to find a tech writer who understands and can arrange factoring (selling accounts receivable). I do not want to spend all my time doing credit checks. Do you? They are bookkeepers, collection agents, and money arranger, not tech writers. Any good lawyer (lawyers being excellent wordsmiths) worth their salt can keep a broker in line. Brokers can do funny fiddles that any lawyer can sort through very fast, for example, taking a commission from both the seller and the buyer.

I used a broker to find a leasing company to finance the installation fiber optics in a hospital in a developing country. I do not want to do this, I do not have the expertise, patience, or contacts. I could continue writing. If I did not find the broker, I would be looking for a new contract.

My rant are the intermediaries who call themselves brokers but are unregulated and unlicensed and often demand 10% of the deal. Those are the nut cases, often daisy chaining themselves 3 or 4 deep. These are the "friends" who recommend a real estate agent to sell your house, then ask for a 10% finder's fee on the proceeds of the sale. I ran into one intermediary who wanted to charge my client for the time it took him to fill out the form to send to the broker, to the tune of US$400/hr. plus a commission. Some of these guys are on a different planet.

Nora

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr