Re: More on Validating documentation

Subject: Re: More on Validating documentation
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 11:13:08 -0800 (PST)

--- Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com> wrote:

> But, on the whole, developers are a closed community of introverts. By
> comparison, writers are extroverts. Therefore, as ill-equipped as most
> of us are by any other standard to make such an effort ;-), the writers
> are the ones who have to make most of the effort. They need to educate
> the developers on how to work with them, and have to make the efforts to
> be accepted.

I guess we all have different experiences. For example, I would never have
accused most writers of being extroverts, not even when compared to
programmers.

I do agree that technical writers should expect to be the ones to make the
extra effort to work with their SMEs. In my experience, even when you work in a
good team environment, the existing members of the team expect you to prove
yourself. I won't even say this attitude is limited to writers. Whenever a team
changes, those who have been on the team and have established good working
relationships tend to look at the new team members with an attitude that says,
"Show us what you can do. Show us that you'll be a good team member." I don't
see anything wrong with that, as I feel they just want to make sure everyone is
pulling their weight on the project.

But writers as extroverts? That's a new one on me. <g>

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 03/14/02
"Technical Writers: Writers who get paid a living wage."

http://movies.yahoo.com/

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/