Re: Interested in Document Management software

Subject: Re: Interested in Document Management software
From: Rev Simon Rumble <simon -at- rumble -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:52:40 +0000

On Thu 21 Mar, Brian Martin bloviated thus:
> Here are some of the names of software I have come across for
> documentation management: Documentum, Visual SourceSafe (VSS), CVS.

There is a huge opening for someone to make a good, reasonably priced
document management system. There's really nothing between the
products that would serve well for NASA and Boeing and the file
system.

VSS and CVS both treat MS Word documents as binary objects. They'll
keep versions but you'd better have a lot of disk space and diffs will
be difficult to get.

If you're using a text-based document format, then a code-focussed
version control system might be of use to you.

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon -at- rumble -dot- net>
www.rumble.net

A reactionary is a man whose political opinions always
manage to keep up with yesterday.

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr