Master Documents, with a side of Single Source Sauce

Subject: Master Documents, with a side of Single Source Sauce
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:38:45 -0500

So our new doc group is making its tool decisions right now, and this topic
has been broached.

I can hear the chorus warming up: Read the archives! I am doing so. However,
there have been nigh one thousand posts on this topic in the history of
me to wonder whether anyone has compiled a pro/con/do/don't list and put it
out there on the Web, or put something in Intercom? It would be an
invaluable service to the community, as this is clearly a much-wrestled with
topic.

The applicable background: We're going to use Word b/c everyone else in the
company uses it, and it will cut down on the number of times we have to move
docs from one program to another. Also, it plays well with Robohelp, which
appears to be our online/embedded help tool of choice. Since our product is
modular, we need to be able to manage which documentation modules customers
get without mucking about too much (to put it bluntly). Much as I prefer
Frame, I can't see any sense in maintaining a Word-->Frame-->PDF flow and a
Word-->RoboHelp flow when we can manage it all from Word. Or can we...?

I'm off to the bookstore for something on Word2k.

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Workscape, Inc.
> 508-861-3059