RE: Is there such a thing as TMI?

Subject: RE: Is there such a thing as TMI?
From: Erika Yanovich <ERIKA_y -at- Rad -dot- co -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:48:01 +0200

After Geoff's elaborate answer, the only [hopefully useful] thing I can add
is that TMI can be OK if it's well organized and can be counterproductive if
it's not. Think about a phone directory. While you are looking for a
specific number, all the other numbers are TMI, but that does not bother you
because you know exactly how to find what you need (alphabetical
organization).

What not to do and examples of correct answers are 2 things my users always
want me to add -- they are complaining for years, but we never find the time
to give them enough examples..., so from my end it looks like this info is
useful. If you have the resources to keep it updated, the only remaining
question is how to organize it. If your docs are printed, it reminds me of a
manual I saw a few years ago which had the procedures on the right (odd)
pages and all other other stuff on the facing (left) page, aligned with the
procedure. This is one way of dealing with it, but I'm sure you can find
many more. If the docs are online, there are endless creative ways of doing
this, some of them already mentioned, so I won't go into this.

Hope this helped.

Erika

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr

Check out the TECHWR-L Site redesign!