RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing

Subject: RE: Some thoughts on knowledge management, content management and single sourcing
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:05:49 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote (in part):

> What firms need is better management. People establishing
> expectations and then enforcing those expectations. And
> one of those expectations should be to feed the details of
> your work into some kind of central library.
> However, it is understandable that this material does not
> always get captured. Thus, tech writers should be capturing
> and storing this information into white papers articles,
> intranet web sites, etc.
>
> I don't see a need to hire consultants and formulate task
> forces to handle this.

It struck me that I have never seen these expectations
spelled out in any management article or book, nor in any
job ad, nor in any job description for a technical writer
or manager, nor in any set of performance goals, _except_
in cases where a formal Knowledge Management system was
involved.
I do not believe these expectations are so common that they
can "go without saying." Therefore, I conclude that such
expectations are rare (or else, logically, my memory and
experiences are deficient).

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)

http://www.ehelp.com/techwr