Re: Consultants:Dim or Delete the Non-Compete?

Subject: Re: Consultants:Dim or Delete the Non-Compete?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:40:06 -0800 (PST)

--- "tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com> wrote:

> Anrew Plato Wrote:
> >If non-compete clauses bother you, then you should become an independent
> consultant and stop working with agencies.<
>

> I agree Andrew. I would love to become an independent but don't know where to
> start, mainly, how much money it will cost. If you have any sources or wisdom
> to impart I will try to act on it.

You don't need a lot of money. You just need some drive and basic business
sense.

1. Form a corporation. Contact your state's corporation commission. They will
likely have a free booklet on exactly how to start a corporation. COST:
Associated fees $250 max depending on the state.

2. Put together a portfolio of work. Make it cool. COST: $50 worth of copies
and supplies at Office Depot.

3. Put up a web site. Make it slick, professional, and very corporate looking.
look bigger than you are. $200 for a web design tool (which you probably
already have) and web hosting.

4. Develop some marketing materials. A simple color brochure will do. Also
develop a pitch or a hook. A quick, gimmicky way to differentiate yourself and
your skills from the cloud of available writers. COST: $400 for printing.

5. Join your local chamber of commerce and get a list of all the big companies
in the area. COST: $100 for membership, $25 for the book

6. Cold call those companies. Ask for the IT director, CTO, VP of Support, Tech
Pubs manager...anybody. Get beyond the receptionist. COST: $0.00

7. Attend chamber meetings, business luncheons, technical user groups. Network
with BUSINESS LEADERS in your community. Use your hook or pitch to pique their
interest. Follow up with them, send them cards, make yourself known. COST: $50
for meetings, gas, etc.

8. Develop some business processes so you have some kind of infrastructure to
support your fees and rates. That means building some kind of AR/AP
infrastructure. You might want to get a copy of QuickBooks and use it to manage
your company's books. COST: $250 for Quickbooks.

9. Hire a lawyer or purchase some pre-made contracts. You'll need some kind of
technical consulting agreement and statement of work forms. You should also get
an non-disclosure / confidentiality agreement. COST: $500 to $50 depending on
your comfort levels.

10. Get work, bid it, bill it, collect.

TOTAL COST: $1400 to $1850

If you bid a contract at $50 an hour, and normally get $30 an hour. You'll have
made up your costs in 37 hours...about one week worth of work.

Now remember, you'll be working harder because you'll need to invoice on your
own and continue to market yourself. It takes time to build a client list.

Good luck

Andrew Plato

http://sports.yahoo.com/

www.ehelp.com/techwr