Re: Single Sourcing - Myth or Salvation?

Subject: Re: Single Sourcing - Myth or Salvation?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 07:40:15 -0800 (PST)

It is alot of time to devote to something. Howerver, the benefit out
of all of it is that he knows he has 10,000 updated documents which
was probably needed anyway.

So...taking away the time it would have taken to revise 10,000
documents WITHOUT adding the single sourcing dimension, what was the
single sourcing overhead? That's what implementing the conversion
"cost".

Now, remove from that the tremendous daily overhead of maintaining
10,000 documents, thats the process cost.

--- "Gillespie, Stephen (Contractor)"
<Stephen -dot- Gillespie -at- Persnet -dot- Navy -dot- Mil> wrote:
> On March 13, 2002, Bill Hall wrote:
> "The bottom line is that we implemented the SIM system, converted
> (and at
> the
> same time basically rewrote) all the documents ... for a total time
> investment of less than a half hour per document"
>
> Good lord, Bill -are you saying that for your single-sourcing
> project, you
> rewrote all 10,000 documents?! Let's see, doing the math, that's
> 10,000
> times a half-hour, equals 5,000 'half-hours', or 2,500 hours - is
> that correct?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
Current gig ending 4/15