Re: Organization of documentation

Subject: Re: Organization of documentation
From: Etienne Grosjean <etienneg -at- interlog -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:03:52 -0500

Yes, I have considered putting it online for all the good reasons mentioned. However, a substantial portion of the audience does not have access to the standard type of online documentation as they interface with the software with dumb terminals. So it has to be paper books plus, for the ones who can use it, PDF files.

The present format consist of 6 user's guides (each for a different type of user) and 3 reference guides (lists of commands and messages). My main concern is that the user's guides contain too much information that distract the users from their basic tasks. I have a pretty good idea of what to suggest but I would like to back it up with some authoritative comments and some alternatives.

aschiff -at- factset -dot- com wrote:

Hard to answer this question without knowing what your users' needs are or
what the 9 books cover. However, have you considered putting the bulk of
this documentation online? Makes it quicker to update, allows for full-text
searching, context-sensitivity, clickable related topics, etc. It might be
more work up-front, but you'd save big $$ on printing in the long-term.

Abby Schiff
FactSet Research Systems
203.356.3748

www.ehelp.com/techwr