RE: ranges in index entries

Subject: RE: ranges in index entries
From: Jason Willebeek-LeMair <jlemair -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:37:10 -0600

I wonder if the problem is that ranges will not work across HTML docs. For
example, if you have:

H1
start range
H1

H1
End Range

and webworks creates separate pages out of each H1 section, your range is
suddenly broken.

This is similar to the reason that we no longer use ranges. We document in
XML. It did not make sense to start a range in one chunk and end it in
another chunk when we were not certain that the chunks would be used
together in each output instance.

The way we figure it, each heading should indicate the contents of the
information below that heading. If it does not, you need to either fix the
heading or chunk the info better. A single page index entry to the beginning
of the section should be sufficient.

Jason