Re: Linking Between Help Projects

Subject: Re: Linking Between Help Projects
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 09:48:02 -0700

From: Scott Wahl <wahl_scott -at- yahoo -dot- ca>

> We have a ForeHelp WinHelp project. We need to create
> a link to another WinHelp project, for which we do not
> have the source files.
>
> Does anyone know how to manually create a link in
> ForeHelp to a specific .hlp file?

In WinHelp, the syntax is:

LINKhiddentext -at- helpfile -dot- hlp

Where,

LINK = the underlined text that will be the "hot spot"
hiddentext = the name of the topic to jump to in the second
help file
@ tells compiler to look in another help file
helpfile.hlp = the help file name

everything after LINK is formatted as hidden text.

If you don't have the source file, there are two possible ways to find
out what the name of the topic is. First, if the person who compiled
the original file was nice enough to compile the file with the "Include
.rtf filename and topic ID in Help File" option enabled, then you can
download MicroSoft's HelpWorkShop (free), enable the Help Author
mode from the File menu, and when you right click on a topic in a
help file you can select "Topic Information" and see a dialog box that
displays the topic name.

If the person did not compile this way, there are a few help
decompilers that you can run on the HLP file. One is Helpdeco, and
I think you can still download this from Josef Becker's web site
helpmaster.com.

Dana W.

www.ehelp.com/techwr