If You Were Gonna Teach...

Subject: If You Were Gonna Teach...
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 07:57:21 -0800 (PST)

If you were going to teach a writing course to your Subject Matter Experts,
what would you stress?

I've been asked by my boss, who isn't a writer, to come up with a course of
instruction that would generally improve the writing in our Information
Technology Department. Not surprisingly, I blanched at this idea. For one
thing, most of the people with whom I work (Business Analysts, Database
Analysts, and Software Developers) (A) write about as well as they care to, and
(B) aren't going to improve with one hour of instruction/discussion, which is
about as much as I can hope to cram in around here (and I will have to lure
them with pizza even for that.

This is perhaps a stupid task to take on, and you're free to say so. But what
I'm really interested in are the four or five things that you would like to see
your contributors stop doing or do better that would improve both document
writing (Requirements, Designs, etc.) and even email communications.

TIA

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
--I'm a Tech Writer, dammit, not an Engineer!--

http://mail.yahoo.com/

www.ehelp.com/techwr