RE: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')

Subject: RE: The Big Lie (was 'Are You a Writer?')
From: "Maggie Secara" <maggiros -at- adelphia -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 22:17:52 -0800

> I don't know about other areas, but this was fairly
> typical in the aerospace industry.
>
> I never saw a non-technical major enter into this
> sector of the technical writing arena.
>
> --

Just to throw in the exception... My dad's degree was in education, and he was a
junior high science teacher/freshman basketball coach in Downer's Grove, IL,
when a small aerospace company moved him (and us all) out to California to be a
technical writer in the middle '50s. He's gone now so I can't ask him exactly
how that came about. He wrote and eventually became a Senior Tech Editor in
some very technical areas.

That is to say, his degree was non-technical and his background was biology, but
he had a knack for hardware, and he *became* very technical indeed. He was not
an engineer who got roped into doing the documentation.

Maggie Secara

www.ehelp.com/techwr