Re: THANKS Re: It's time to go

Subject: Re: THANKS Re: It's time to go
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 18:39:07 -0800 (PST)

--- "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com> wrote:

> So, how about it? Other comments? Suggestions?

Hmm, I think to myself, "Let him (or her) who is without sin cast the first
stone." Well, I am hardly without sin. I've been on the list long enough to
know that I have offended some people and engaged in personal arguments where
they weren't called for, if they ever are.

Lately, I delete more posts than I read. I've gotten fairly proficient with
mail filters. Often a thread loses its appeal long before people stop posting.
Anymore, I tend to dump all grammar threads, all portfolio questions, nearly
all tool questions, definitely all Word vs. Frame threads, without even reading
them. And as soon as posters start getting even more pompous than I can be, I
dump the thread. Amazingly, some of them go on and on. (I do look in on my
trash bin from time to time to see what filters can be retired, especially when
I need the space for a new filter.)

Just about the time that I think I've grown tired of TECHWR-L, a new thread
comes along. It's either something I feel I have the experience to add to or
something I think I can learn from. I follow it until it either ends or
degenerates.

If I were to offer any suggestions, there would be two. First, use the
archives. (If they're too hard to use, talk to the List Owners. They value
constructive feedback.) I'm not sure there has been a tool question asked in
over two years that hasn't been done to death. Same for portfolios, resumes,
interviewing techniques, and writing techniques (though perhaps I overreact).

My second suggestion would be to follow the Golden Rule: "Do unto others AS YOU
WOULD HAVE THEM do unto you." To me that means that you don't need to take
offense if someone fires off a hasty post that manages to graze one of your hot
buttons. Sometimes the best response to discourtesy is to ignore it (with at
least feigned dignity). Respond to posts in the same way you would like
everyone to respond to your posts. There is at least one other point of view
besides yours.

One final thought. If nobody is dying, it's not a crisis. And as far as I know,
nobody ever died from receiving an email. (Now I'll find out about all those
people who opened an email and had a massive heart attack.)

Just my two cents. Your mileage may vary. Void where prohibited. You pays your
money and you takes your chances. :-)

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 02/27/02
{Your pithy comment here. Contact me to find out how <g>}

http://mail.yahoo.com/

www.ehelp.com/techwr