THANKS! Re: It's time to go

Subject: THANKS! Re: It's time to go
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:32:39 -0700 (MST)

Rob,
Thanks for taking the time to write the message below--
it was quite well stated, and your point is very well
taken.

What to do about it? I haven't any idea.

RW >But somewhere along the way, this list has changed. Or more accurately,
RW >we—the posters—have changed this list. The reasons I valued this list so
RW >much, especially as I was embarking on my technical writing career, was for
RW >the frequent discussions that amounted to “how to do your job better and
RW >more efficiently”, with the occasional topic to commiserate with others who
RW >understood our little niche in the world.
RW >
RW >I used to look forward to reading this list every morning. I would get to
RW >work a half hour early, pour my self a cup of joe, and delight in the
RW >knowledge I gleaned from your collective experience. And there always seemed
RW >to be something that made me laugh; were did our humor go?

RW >But, as I mentioned before, the tone of this list has changed, considerably.
RW >And it’s changed to something that no longer feels comfortable to me. I feel
RW >so much derisiveness from this list, and too much of it seems personal.

Agreed. And the off-list messages--to me, and those I've
been informed of--are far worse. They're personal,
offensive, and insulting to a degree I couldn't have
imagined 3 or 4 years ago.

It's become impossible to ping everyone who is rude or
offensive on list--there aren't enough hours in the
day. And, most days, the time that I get to spend
with TECHWR-L isn't spent in answering questions or
providing comments--it's spent as an arbiter or worse.
I'd rather discuss real topics, but find that
impossible most of the time, because of the personal
issues that people involve me in, or because of the
complaints about various grievances.

RW >
RW >And I’m part of the problem too. I re-read several of my most recent posts
RW >over the last several months. Have I been helpful? Have I offered tips or
RW >suggestions on how to make our jobs easier, or how to become a more
RW >productive technical writer? No, I haven’t. I’ve made snide remarks
RW >disguised as humor or sarcasm. I’ve entered into personal debates with
RW >people I don’t even know.

Interesting self-analysis. My question would be "why?" -- do
you know?

RW >So, it’s time for me to go. I’ll still refer to the archives whenever I need
RW >some help. But I feel that the current tone and content of this list no
RW >longer benefits me as a technical writer, and has become an unnecessary
RW >distraction.
RW >
RW >Thank you Eric and Deborah. And to many others on this list. Good luck and
RW >success to all of you. And, because it’s my favorite admonition form one of
RW >my favorite list members, I’ll get back to work now. Writing. It’s what I
RW >do.

Thank you--and thanks for posting this. With any kind of
luck, it might catalyze some change.

So, how about it? Other comments? Suggestions?

Eric