Re: install vs. set up

Subject: Re: install vs. set up
From: matiefert -at- yahoo -dot- com (M. Tiefert)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 23:46:16 GMT

>I'm reworking software installation guides at the moment. Microsoft
>Manual of Style suggests that "set up" should be used for software,
>"install" for hardware.

Companies I've worked for have always used "install" for the process of
getting the files from the shipped media (or downloaded zip files) to the
proper place(s) on the computer where it will run. If there's some sort of
installation wizard, this would include everything done via the wizard.

Then, "set up" was used for any post-installation configuration or
customization.

If the software is architected (ouch!) as a central server plus client
applications that run on desktop machines, then "installation" could be
specifically for the server and "setup" for the client software.

However, what with installations becoming simpler, there may not be any
clear dividing line between installation and setup.

I suppose a lot depends on the structure of the product you're documenting!

cheers,

Marj

* * *
Marj Tiefert, PhD