Re: Are you a writer?

Subject: Re: Are you a writer?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 11:16:17 -0800

MichaelHuggins -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

In other words, if one is prepared to so strenuously arraign the moral position of tech writers who are "dependent" on SME's, it seems only fair to apply the same calculus to SME's who are equally "dependent" on tech writers to be understood at all.

Why? Developers are paid to use their knowledge, not communicate it.

However, I have to admit that the developers I have the most respect for are those who can communicate. Last year, I was working for a small company in which almost half the developers and QA testers had books and articles to their credit. It was tech-writing heaven: everyone understood what I was doing, was extremely cooperative when I needed to discuss something, and respected my efforts. In fact, I'm still in contact with many of them now that the company reorganized.

I only hope that, one day, I'll work in an atmosphere like that again.

"It's as bad as it gets
The Surgeon General said, 'you're better off with cigarettes,'
If you must have your bad habits, why don't you stick to booze:
Love's been linked to the blues."
-David Olney, "Love's Been Linked to the Blues"