RE: Dangling Modifiers

Subject: RE: Dangling Modifiers
From: greg -dot- hamill -at- teradyne -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 12:07:10 -0500

I would have to say that writing as we speak isn't all that it is talked up
to be. In support of this premise, note the preposition without a
specifically referenced noun.

However, I listened to a friend give a three minute discourse on a topic
without finishing a sentence (and maybe not taking a breath). His
conversation was interspersed with numerous "ands" and "buts." I believe
this type of information dissemination is designed to keep the other person
out of the conversation. Would we ever write a document in the same way? It
is a typical way that we speak to others. Although a document is a one
direction "conversation," common usage doesn't give us permission to write
poorly.

Greg Hamill