RE: He said...She said...He said...etc. (Was Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!)

Subject: RE: He said...She said...He said...etc. (Was Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!)
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2002 10:19:45 -0500

Oh, I love this list. It's so provocative.

My partner works the way Andrew describes. He learns something thoroughly and then writes about it. Period. As he says, that's writing. (Mind you 5 years of Silicon Valley in the '80's burned him out and it's taken 11 to even consider doing anything techie again.)

But I think the reason there has been discussion of this issue is that there IS something between the "writing" and the "editing" as Andrew describes it. As an instructional designer, I've worked on creating training (which is it's own skill) with an abundance of technical documents, PPT presentations, white papers and SME input. I think that what I bring to the project is a high degree of smarts with some technical understanding to judge what is relevant and important to include in the training, and an ability to work with SME's to that the content comes out right. It's not just writing - there's judgement, listening and interpersonal skills that come into play. And then there is organizing the information for a particular purpose.

That's creating something that wasn't there before, isn't it?

I do agree that - especially in the present job market - developing a niche of expertise is a survival strategy. Maybe that's why I dreamed about doing work on ISO9000 standards, a return to my TQM work of the '80's. ? !

.Annamarie

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Http://www.iddtechsolutions.com