Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!

Subject: Re: What's A TW Got To DO To Get A Job Around Here?!
From: Kelley <kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:38:44 -0500

At 11:05 PM 2/24/02 -0500, Bonnie Granat wrote:

Your kindness is astonishing, Kelley. Truly astonishing.

I initially wrote -- please refer to my first post on this subject -- that
there were "few" jobs here.

I later exaggeratedly said there were "no" jobs -- in my last post -- to
try to focus people on what *I* was asking about.

And you write to tell me there's at least one job! How wonderful! How kind!

As I said, I completely understand. I'm not a rah rah siss boom bah person who wears rose-colored glasses when it comes to the economy and jobs. I lived in a community where there really weren't any jobs. There was no need to exaggerate. The local paper actually offered free ad space to advertise. No jobs ads were placed. When there are no jobs for vacuum cleaner sales, it's baaaaaaaad. Later, I watched people remain unemployed for nearly two years, no matter how hard they tried. Many of them did end up moving. Those who didn't end up going into other lines of work. But some of them did go back into work comparable to what they did before. Some of them didn't. I told Dick about this offlist. I remember having to hold my jaw as I listened to one guy say, while pondering whether to take a $7/hr job at the 7-11, "I'd never do that! I'd make my wife do it first!" To him, there were no jobs for him, period. Having been the VP of Marketing for a rather successful regional firm, he wouldn't have anything to do with anything less. He eventually took on home marketing work so he didn't have to move his young family. A couple of years later, he was back in the saddle again, in some kind of executive-level position. But, alas, it took a couple of years.

What people are trying to tell folks, not just you, is that ads are only an indicator of what's available. They are footprints in the sand, so to speak. They do not reflect _all_ the positions that are available, just as footprints can only tell you a little bit about the people that walked the beach the evening before.

I'd hate to see you move, but if you have a job somewhere else, and you're happier, that's great. Still, I hope you'll be able to follow up on the suggestions that folks have been offering. They are all excellent, Melody's in particular. Ads aren't especially good places to search for jobs. The best way to get jobs is to work your network--everyone from your family, to your neighbors, to the cashier you talk to weekly, to old friends, old colleagues, and on and on. Then, what Melody suggests is that you do research on the firms you'd like to work for and start _mailing_ your resume out, including a cover letter explaining why you are an excellent hire. Follow up with phone calls. Sharon also pointed out that you might as well go for positions that seem to you as if you're not a match. Who knows? It can't hurt.

I know it is difficult. I've never really been there because I've never been zapped from a job I was really ego-invested in or that wasn't pretty low-level so that anything would be about the same, if not better. But, I know so many people--family, friends, colleagues, and my respondents--who've been there. I hate watching anyone go through it. I wish I had loads of money to give everyone jobs to tide them over. But I don't, all I can offer is my experience and my rendering of others' experiences.

Kelley