RE: deer in the headlights (corporate anorexia)

Subject: RE: deer in the headlights (corporate anorexia)
From: Steven Brown <stevenabrown -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:50:34 -0800 (PST)

Thomas hit the nail on the head when he wondered, "Are
they [managers] such bad planners that they wrongfully
hire and thoughtlessly fire without regard to its
impact on peoples' lives?"

That's a systemic problem I think. When times are
good, no one thinks about the excesses in which they
are indulging. Everyone -- from you and me as
individual consumers to corporations -- lives right up
to his means. In the case of companies, they hire
staff that's really not needed. Somehow we find ways
to justify the higher staffing levels.

My employer has gone through three rounds of layoffs.
We now have fewer than 100 employees whereas we had
150+ a year ago. And guess what; we're doing exactly
the same thing today that we were doing back then. It
seems to me that sucessful companies should be those
that can remain lean and mean, especially through the
good times. When was the last time you heard a CEO
proudly proclaim, "Well everyone, despite the massive
layoffs going on around us, your jobs are perfectly
safe because we have exactly the staff that we need to
get our work done."

Just a thought from a guy who has absolutely no
interest in getting an MBA.

Steven Brown
Senior Technical Writer

http://sports.yahoo.com