Re: Resume format

Subject: Re: Resume format
From: "Michael Feimster" <feim68 -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 22:46:50 -0500

Maybe it's just me, but I generally don't like a section that lists skills.
I want to see the skills in context.

For example, if someone puts that they know HTML in a resume, what does that
mean? Does it mean they know how to create Web pages in notepad? Or does it
meant they have used FrontPage's or RoboHelp's wysiwyg and therefore "know"
html. Do I get to put Delphi because I document a Delphi app and sit in on
development meetings?

A couple of my writers could put FrameMaker on their resume because they
have it installed on their computer, although they have done nothing more
with it than a couple of minor edits or the tutorial.

I would rather see something like used FrameMaker to create an Update Guide,
used MS Office (list the ones you actually know) to handle project
management, created HTML Help using RoboHTML, became a master at FreeCell
during the lulls, etc.

Again, maybe it's just me, but it's very easy to create a list. It's much
harder to show how you have used those skills. One resume I got had a great
list of skills: MCSE, HTML, numerous certifications. It turns out it was a
17 year old kid in high school.

Mike Feimster