Please help with PDFing tale of woe (long, very long, sorry)

Subject: Please help with PDFing tale of woe (long, very long, sorry)
From: Emily Berk <emily -at- armadillosoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 14:48:42 -0800

Sorry for cross-post. I am just slightly desperate.

Back this summer, I was having issues with a little grey line that appeared to the left of the chapter name in my PDFs.

Someone on frameusers I think, sorry can't remember who, posted instructions for upgrading Acrobat and the PS print drivers to solve this problem.

However, sometime recently, I began having major problems with the creation of PDFs containing jpg illustrations from FrameMaker. (And, yes, I was using the two-step route, generating the .ps and then running distiller.)

After trying many other routes, I foolishly chose to uninstall Acrobat and FrameMaker 6.0 and try to reinstall. (Those of you on techwr-l know the long and depressing tale of how it took me days to install FM 6.0 in the first place.)

So, now, what happens is:

1. I uninstall FM 6.0
2. I try to install FM from CD
3. Half the time it boots all the way to the installer but half the time it doesn't
4. When it does boot to the installer, it installs FM6.0 and then goes and installs something called Acrobat Distiller 4.05.
5. Then it goes to install the PS Print Driver and crashes out of the install. I reboot and try to install the ps print driver from the CD, or from the Internet
6. When I then reboot and use FM 6.0 to create a PS, it does create the ps, without errors, apparently.
7. When I run Distiller and try to generate the PDF, it puts gibberish in the screen and crashes.
8. I also came across an announcement from Dov about the new Print Driver and so I downloaded the one from Nov. 2001 and ran it. This did not make anything better.

There is an Acrobat 4.0 directory on my PC and I'm sure this is where I had Acrobat installed previously. I have a file called AC405UP2.exe on my hard disk and I am pretty sure this is the one I used to upgrade Acrobat last summer. But when I run it now, it tells me I don't have Acrobat 4.05 installed so it won't upgrade. I am pretty sure I did use this upgrade file successfully in June. I think I once had a separate Acrobat CD; did I get it with FM 5.5.6??? Am in the process of moving, so maybe it's in a box somewhere. And yet, I have in my hands like four FM 5.5.x CDs and the FM 6.0 CD, so it seems unlikely that Acrobat was separated from these.

I have searched the FrameUsers archives and I know this is not an unusual problem, and yet, in my current harried state, and after 4 hours of trying, I can't seem to find step-by-step instructions for solving this.

If you can, PLEASE step by step instructions, starting with filenames and URLs if I need to download anything from Adobe.

Given that I'm sure this problem has appeared on this list many times, I'm fine with you sending me the solution directly rather than to the list. And, again, please, please don't send me to the archives. I have searched and tried many things and none of them has worked. Perhaps I am doing them in the wrong order.

TIA,

Emily

~ Emily Berk ~
On the web at www.armadillosoft.com *** Armadillo Associates, Inc. ~
~ Project management, developer relations and ~
extremely-technical technical documentation that developers find useful.~