pdf print problem: not printing parts of some graphics

Subject: pdf print problem: not printing parts of some graphics
From: "Barnett, Eva" <Eva -dot- Barnett -at- aketontechnologies -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 15:02:56 -0800

I forgot a subject line last time...I'm reposting for posterity :)

Hi All,

I'm having some problems getting a pdf to print out correctly; I was hoping one of you might have a solution or a suggestion on where to seek one. I've checked the archives and the Adobe site, but found nothing that addresses the problem I'm experiencing

<Background>

- When I print out a pdf brochure that our graphics artist put together, the first ~1.5" of the footer (a graphic that has a color-gradiated background and white text) doesn't print out. This is on an hp OfficeJet G (ps print driver).

- When I print the same document to our b&w LaserJet 5000 N (with both PCL 5e and PCL 6 print drivers), some of the same footer doesn't appear, but less of it is chopped off.

- I tried printing this brochure from other people's printers. One other person got the same results as I did; two people were able to print it out fine.

- I tried printing a different graphics-intensive pdf from the same graphics artist. The result on this one was that a gradiated band on the top and bottom was similarly truncated. The original brochure has a top band (not gradiated) that printed fine.

- I made a few test pdfs from Word with a big shaded block and different gradiated and solid bars. These all printed fine.

</Background>

Do any of you have ideas about what could be causing this and/or what might fix it? I'd appreciate any leads you guys might have. Also, please cc any responses to me at eva -dot- barnett -at- aketontechnologies, as I'm on digest.

Thanks,

Eva