Re: Geez, can I take a break...

Subject: Re: Geez, can I take a break...
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:42:35 -0800 (PST)

> I appreciate your sarcasm, Andrew, but I assumed the conversation would
> proceed politely, and I wouldn't tell her that she was wrong (I agree
with
> not trying to change her). I would simply point out that the document is
> written in the active voice, and that her changes make the document
> inconsistent. I guess I use a "velvet glove" approach, because most of
the
> people I've worked with (engineers excluded) appreciated my input and
> readily acknowledged that they weren't grammar experts. However, since
I'm
> sitting home out of work (my department was eliminated), it may be that
> your approach is best.

I feel your pain. Anybody who can write does. It makes your brain ache
reading text that is poorly written. However, most people are very
attached to their words. They think what they say is pure genius. Its the
hallmark of an amateur writer. They won't let go of their words,
regardless of how poorly they communicate an idea.

Velvet gloves sounds swell, but even a soft touch may still incite wrath.
Better to just make the change and act like "you were just doing your
job." After all, if you are the editor, its your job to clarify text. So
just do it and don't ask for permission and don't try to change them.

How does that saying go: its easier to ask for forgiveness then for
permission.

Andrew Plato

http://greetings.yahoo.com