Wording inquiry

Subject: Wording inquiry
From: "Cadorette Johanne" <johanne -dot- cadorette -at- locusdialog -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:07:10 -0500

Hi all,

Is it just me, or does the word "characteristic" sound clumsy in the following sentence:

"In the Default tab, specify which characteristics must be assigned by default to entries created by interface."

The original text said "options," but I see that it has been changed in the French version, probably because "options" are what we refer to as optional features for our product, which are different from what is in this default tab. "Options" and "features" are things that are included in the licence, and I can see that using these terms in the above example might lead to confusion.

While "characteristic" is a correct translation for "caracteristique," I don't think it's a term that's used as widely in English as in French. Or is it? Would another word be better? What about "trait?" The sentence could be re-written, too.

Thanks in advance,

Johanne Cadorette