Re: Questions about a 600 page manual

Subject: Re: Questions about a 600 page manual
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 07:14:22 -0800 (PST)

Brian...this may be a stupid question....are we talkiing about 600
sheets of paper with page numbers to 1200 or are we talking about a
manual with the last page number being 600 and using 300 sheets of
paper?

if it is the later (300 sheets), then spiral is fine. OTOH, if we're
saying 600 page numbers, I'd question the premise of have a single
document bound as one document regardless of the type of binding.
When I've had a document that big, I broke it into more than one
manual. Easier to use, easier to update, to print, to distibute.

Just my Monday morning thoughts.

--- Brian Martin <martin -at- sodalia -dot- it> wrote:
> Howdy technical writers:
>
> I have been tasked with updating a manual that I estimate will
> reach 600
> pages in length. The manual is an update to a user manual for just
> a few
> technical users--not more than 2 right now. It is essential,
> however,
> for customer relations reasons that we revise this manual to make
> it
> more user friendly.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer