Icon colors

Subject: Icon colors
From: Kim Wallace <KWallace -at- stewart -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 15:35:28 -0600

Good afternoon!

We are working on a new release that is going to run in Citrix environments.
The Citrix clients will have a 256 color display.

We saved the icons originally with 256 colors, and thought that would be
sufficient.

Unfortunately, it wasn't. We get a bright yellow rather than the deep gold
(HTML color #FFCC00 or RGB of 255/204/0) that Marketing has decreed.

It looks like the icon is using a 16 color palette, rather than 256, so that
it can show solid instead of dithered colors.

The bitmaps that were the source for the icons still look good in a 256
color display (no dithering or changing of colors).

Should I just go ahead and choose a solid color from the 16 color range? Is
there something about icon color palettes that I'm just not getting?

Any explanations would be welcome. I'll need them to explain why we can't
use Marketing's specifications - or to fix what I've done.

And no - we had to create the icons ourselves. Marketing looked at us
blankly when we asked for ICO files.

Thanks.

Kim Wallace
Landata Systems