RE: % of Users Who Read Software Documentation

Subject: RE: % of Users Who Read Software Documentation
From: "Jane Carnall" <jane -dot- carnall -at- digitalbridges -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 11:35:42 -0000

Barbara Yanez asks:
>Does anyone know of any studies that have been done as to the percentage of
>users who do actually do read documentation - (particularly in the software
>industry)?

I probably recommended this the last time the topic came up, but I'll rec it
again because I think it's a great article:
http://www.asktog.com/columns/017ManualWriting.html
(Bruce Tognazzini on Conflict Catcher by David Pogue: "When was the last
time you curled up in bed with a really good user-manual just for the sheer
joy of reading it? Never? Think that is some immutable law of nature, like
the one that dictates all textbooks must be dull as dirt? 'Tain't so,
McGee.")

Further, in this article he describes the kind of software manual *I* would
like to write:

1) Supply a (real) manual.
2) Explain the problem being solved
3) Present the concepts, not just the features.
4) Give 'em more than they deserve
5) Make it enjoyable to read

One and two are elements that no one disagrees with. Mostly. Three and four
are trickier: (a surprising number of SMEs say "Oh, they don't need to know
that!" or "Oh, but EVERYBODY knows that!"). Number 5 is a goal to aim for:
not just to write well, but to write with both technical accuracy and verve.
Make them *want* to read the manual. That's the kind of technical writer I
want to be when I grow up, never mind whether I'm an apple or a peach... <g>

Jane Carnall
Technical Writer, Digital Bridges, Scotland
Unless stated otherwise, these opinions are mine, and mine alone. Apologies
for the long additional sig: it is added automatically and outwith my
control.

E-mail is an informal method of communication and may be subject to data corruption, interception and unauthorised amendment for which Digital Bridges Ltd will accept no liability. Therefore, it will normally be inappropriate to rely on information contained on e-mail without obtaining written confirmation.