RE: upgrade from 98 to XP

Subject: RE: upgrade from 98 to XP
From: "Steve Hudson" <cruddy -at- optushome -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:52:34 +1100

a) I am more than willing to privately post my IP for a test hack attempt, I
have faith in XP. Not 2k pro, it was broken. It would be interesting as this
is fairly vanilla. I did one quick tour of my settings, don't think much
needed tweaking to my satisfaction.

b) Again, I am no major level 4/5/6 OSI buff, so I am obviously totally
missing the point of subnets here. I thought they were to used to help
isolate command chains. Lets say we use subnet 1.* and 2.*.

A 1.* command cannot operate, by protocol definition, on subnet 2.*. This is
the whole point of assigning my internal network a separate subnet. H4xx0r
commands from the external subnet have no authority over my internal
network.

c) As re the 192.168.0.1, well, I can sure understand the point that that is
the first place anyone will look who does get in. That's because it IS a std
(the RFC you mention). I won't mention just what % of banks and other major
financial institutions that I have had anything to do with use it. I keep it
that way to make trubble shooting simpler.

d) AFAIK, WinXp has its own built-in firewalling which is why I have no need
for a firewall anymore. I did ensure this was so before I upgraded.

Steve Hudson, Word Heretic
HDK List MVP
Word help and tools: heretic -at- tdfa -dot- com