RE: Salary review help

Subject: RE: Salary review help
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 08:06:08 -0800 (PST)

> Yep. This is why the usual length of time for a stay in an IT job
> is around
> two years: because the only reliable way to get a pay rise - even
> if the
> cost of living and the market rate for the job has gone up - is to
> change
> jobs. You'd think that IT managers would have figured out by this

I think you'll find that many (not all) of the really hot IT people
leave in two years is that they get bored. To most really hot
techies, it's the challenge, the learning, the playing with new toys.

Either that, or they get burned out.

After two years, any bleeding edge technology becomes hohum.

I was at a gig that started out paying me $70/hr. They asked to
extend the contract. I said yes. They asked to extend the contract. I
said yes. The asked to tend the contract. I said yes for 10% raise.
They said yes. They asked to exrtend the contract. I said no. They
offered more money. I said no. I was bored with it.

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://auctions.yahoo.com