Re: Withheld Payments

Subject: Re: Withheld Payments
From: Elna Tymes <Etymes -at- LTS -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 05:44:05 -0800

Edwyn Kumar wrote:

Well I got a nasty surprise from my previous writing contract. Turns out
that the company is hesitant to pay me for the editing I did at the end of
2001. It was a contract position that extended from February to the third
week of November. They still owe me for October and three weeks of November.
They claim that the product was unfinished, which it was because the
contract was terminated before the book was done.
Has anyone had similar problems? I need some advice, since writer's often
have little recourse in these matters.

Go find yourself a lawyer. Pay the person for his time and listen to what he says. What you can do depends on what was in the contract you and the client signed. If the contract was for hourly work and didn't include any language about the product being finished at the end of the contract, you'll probably hear more positive news.

However, I would also suggest that you investigate what it takes to file a Small Claims Court case where you live. Most companies don't like to go to court, and will eventually settle rather than face an adverse judgment.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

RoboHelp 2002 is now available! Get the very latest in Help functionality to
create superior Help systems. Special competitive upgrade pricing and other
pricing offers are in effect! Call today! Call now (800-455-5132) or visit
http://www.ehelp.com/techwr