Re: I just got one of those resumes

Subject: Re: I just got one of those resumes
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:29:04 -0800

Indeed that is my point. Is he an expert, except when he doesn't want to be?
Or thinks he is but isn't? Or something else I cannot guess right now? Will
he follow instructions, except when he doesn't? Will he write the way I
want, except when he doesn't? Will he think he understands technology, but
never really does? What do I do with a writer like that? How do I manage
someone like that?

Way more important - and probably telling to me - than a typo or comma fault
or splice.

Of course, this is after a day where a QA person did a close technical
review that took 4 days, except he never actually reviewed the technical
info - rather, he carefully changed all the "appears" to "is displayed" and
all the "click" to "click on" and so on. Since we are writing to the MS
style guide here and he was carefully and clearly instructed to only review
technical info, we are slightly frustrated. Does the lack of technical edits
mean we got it all right or does it mean that he never looked at that or
something else we can't guess? We have 2 days - Monday and Tuesday - before
we go to press and we have to read and examine every single edit - 10 to 15
per page for 300+ pages - to see if he had anything real because they spent
the last week redesigning - adding and removing features with no tracking
of what went where - the product for the 4th time in 4 weeks and the ship
date has not slipped? And my writer was having a bad day and wound up
yelling? Fortunately, at me.

sigh. Nothing new under the sun. Time for bed. Tomorrow is waiting.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
Anthrobytes Consulting
909-369-8590
www.anthrobytes.com
Vice-president, Programs of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org